Saturday, November 24, 2012

Welcome to Singapore!

Well, we've arrived!!! After a near 22 hours of travel time, with most of those being in the air, I am finally in Singapore.

The flights were a lot easier and less stressful than I thought they'd be. Probably because Scott and I were blessed by the travel gods and on both legs of our flight had an empty middle seat. And believe me, that made all the difference. More room to stretch out, more leg room, more storage room, and most importantly no grumpy person stuck in the middle of our conversations. It was awesome. The meals we were served were really good for airplane food, and we never went hungry. I only had to avoid 1 appetizer because it had shrimp in it, so I consider that a win.

Our first leg of the trip took us from NYC to Frankfurt, about 8 hrs. I managed to stay awake thanks to the amazing in-seat entertainment selection (brand new movies, tv, games, music) but did doze off during the last half of Ted before the lights came up and we were fed breakfast. Not sure what that says about that movie considering I had no issues staying awake for Brave or Ice Age: Continental Drift. HA! Once arriving in Frankfurt we deplaned for 2-hrs and I was disappointed that the airport didn't seem more, well, German. From Tiffany's to D&G, Gucci and Burger King it seemed more like O'Hare. It's an airport I guess.

The second leg was from Frankfort to Singapore, about 12 (give or take) hours. At this point I was really starting to get tired, so after we were fed dinner I turned my lights off and cuddled up to sleep. I'm not sure where my ability to sleep any where at any time came from, but on long plane rides I am very thankful for this. I only really woke up twice, once to use the bathroom and another because of thirst. I was out cold for the most part until the lights came up for breakfast for the last 2 remaining hours of the flight.

After landing we flew through customs, grabbed our bags and met up with Kat (Scott's girlfriend who lives here) to make our way to the hotel. The hotel was only a short cab ride away and is within about a 5-10 min walk to the convention center. It's a great location, but I'll know more once we go out and explore. The room is really nice too. Corinne and I each have our own twin bed, a pimped out bathroom, flat screen TV, free WiFi and a mini kitchen w/fridge. Perhaps the best part, the AC. :) It's a very westernized hotel, you can tell because most of the outlets are 120v, what we use in the US.

In about 20 minutes Corinne and I are meeting up with Scott and Kat to go sight seeing, grab some lunch and explore this beautiful (and amazingly clean) city. Here are a few photos in the meantime...


Sunrise from the plane window above Frankfurt.


Our big, double-decker A380 airbus during our layover in Frankfurt.


Almost there, final destination Singapore.


They really aren't joking around on this customs form, are they?


Baggage claim at the Singapore airport. So calm and relaxing, US airports could learn a lot from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment